Student Visa Work Rights

In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, to support the supply of critical services, the Australian government has taken a flexible approach to student visa holders in allowing them to work beyond the normal allowable hours of 40 per fortnight.

You can work more that 40 hours per fortnight without needing to inform the Department of Home Affairs if you are employed:

  •  by an aged care Approved Provider or Commonwealth-funded aged care service provider with a RACS ID or a NAPS ID, before 8 September 2020
  •  by a registered National Disability Insurance Scheme provider
  • enrolled in a health care related course and you are supporting the health effort against COVID-19, as directed by health officials
  •  in the agriculture sector
  •  in the tourism and hospitality sector

If you are working or have an offer of employment in one of the sectors above, and you have finished your course, you may be eligible for a COVID-19 Pandemic (subclass 408) visa.

Find out more about how
we can help you.