The Skilled Independent Visa is a permanent residence visa for individuals who have the qualifications and skills required to fill Australia’s skill shortages and are not sponsored by an employer, family member or nominated by a State or Territory Government.
SkillSelect – Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189) Requirements:
To successfully apply for this skilled migration visa, you need to first submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) online and then be invited to apply for the visa.
Once you have been invited to apply, you must be able to satisfy the basic visa requirements to qualify for a visa in the General Skilled Migration program.
- Have nominated a skilled occupation that is eligible for this subclass of visa (see eligible occupations);
- Have obtained a suitable skills assessment in the nominated skilled occupation;
- Be at least 18 years of age and younger than 45 years of age;
- Have at least competent English language ability;
- Meet the points test pass mark of at least 65 points;
- Meet certain health and character requirements.
Applicants are assessed against the point’s test in which points can be claimed in the following areas:
- English language ability
- Australian and overseas skilled work experience
- Australian & International qualifications
- Australian study requirements
- Specialist qualifications.
- Credentialed community language qualifications
- Regional Australian study
- Spouse skill qualifications
- Professional year in Australia
Entitlements of the SkillSelect – Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189)
Successful applicants and holders of an Australian Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189) are granted permanent residency in Australia. This will allow you and your eligible family members to:
- Travel in and out of Australia;
- Work and study in Australia;
- Access to Government-subsidised healthcare (Medicare);
- Apply for Australian citizenship once you become eligible
- Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence.