Travel Restrictions

Travel restrictions

Currently, Australia has border restrictions in place and very limited flights are available to and from Australia. Before you decide on your travel to or from Australia, please check if you could do so. There are only limited exemptions available allowing people to come or depart from Australia. Some of these are as follows:

Coming to Australia

Unless you are an Australian citizen, permanent resident or New Zealand citizen usually residing in Australia or an individual eligible to meet the exemption list, you cannot travel to Australia. It is important to note that all travellers arriving in Australia, including Australian citizens must quarantine for 14 days at a destination facility and they may be required to pay for the costs of their quarantine.

What documentation is required to show ordinary residency in Australia and where to present these?

The evidence of valid Australia residency must be provided at the check-in point at the airport. The documentation may include Australian Government-issued documents such as your Medicare card or driver licence. However, these must be supplemented by a secondary document such as current employment record or evidence of owning or renting a property in Australia. These will be verified against your travel history before you are allowed to board the flight. You are advised to check in advance whether your condition falls within the residency status as defined by the Department.

Exemption categories for people who intend to come to Australia

Other exemption categories for people who intend to come to Australia

Upon an application being lodged, the Commissioner of the Australian Border Force may grant an individual exemption if the individual is:

  • a non-citizen travelling at the invitation of the Australian Government or a state or territory government authority for the purpose of assisting in the COVID-19 response;
  • providing critical or specialist medical services, including air ambulance, medical evacuations and delivering critical medical supplies;
  • a non-citizen with critical skills or working in a critical sector in Australia;
  • a non-citizen whose entry would otherwise be in the national interest, supported by the Australian Government or a state or territory government authority; and
  • military personnel, including those who form part of the Status of Forces Agreement, Commonwealth Armed Forces, Asia Pacific Forces and Status of Armed Forces Agreement
  • travelling for compassionate and compelling reasons.


How to apply for an exemption

To complete a travel exemption request you should already hold a visa and you should provide information and documents to support your request. Requests may be finalised without further consideration if insufficient evidence is provided. This may include the following:

  • proof of identity;
  • evidence that you hold a valid visa;
  • travel itinerary;
  • marriage, birth, death certificate/s;
  • proof of relationship or residence (such as a shared tenancy agreement, joint bank account etc.);
  • letter from a doctor or hospital, indicating why travel is necessary;
  • letter from an employer indicating why travel is necessary;
  • supporting letter from a business or government agency, advising why your skills are critical; and
  • statutory declaration to support your claims.

You need to apply for an exemption at least two weeks, but not more than three months, before your planned travel.


Talk to us if you need our assistance in order to lodge a travel exemption request. We will provide you with premier immigration advice and services. Only a registered migration agent can legally provide advice on immigration matters in Australia.

MORE INFO (External):


Find out more about how
we can help you.