How to register a relationship in Australia

Relationship registration may be required in order for you to apply for a visa. Please note, it is not required in all cases and may not be sufficient in all cases. Migration laws are complex and continuously changing. A migration assessment with a registered Australian Immigration Specialist is a very important and worthwhile part of the migration process as it will allow you to obtain precise information for your situation based on updated legislation. Find out more about what a migration assessment involves.
A registered relationship is registered under Australian state or territory laws, including civil partnership schemes.
States that recognise a Registered Relationship:
  • New South Wales (NSW)
  • The Australian Capital Territory (The ACT)
  • Queensland (QLD)
  • South Australia (SA)
  • Tasmania (TAS)
  • Victoria (VIC)
*Relationship Registration is not available in Western Australia or the Northern Territory for migration purposes.

Find out more about how
we can help you.